Caroline Criado-Perez run a successful campaign to ensure that a female remained on a Bank of England note. Her campaign brought about many congratulations from people such as Stella Creasy MP. However, shortly after she became the recipient of online abuse from trolls on Twitter.
http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2014/01/29/sentencing-remarks-caroline-cirado-perez-case-show-court-s-tough-stance-trolls
Twitter users: Isabella Sorley and John Nimmo
"Die...you should have jumped in front of horses, go die; I will find you and you don’t want to know what I will do when I do... kill yourself before I do; rape is the last of your worries; I’ve just got out of prison and would happily do more time to see you berried; seriously go kill yourself! I will get less time for that; rape?! I’d do a lot worse things than rape you.”
The maximum sentence for a crime like this is a level five fine and a six month prison sentence
It could be argued that developments within technology and the increased use of social networking has not led to a more democratic society due to the issue of cyber-bullying. Therefore, it could be argued that there should be censorship on the Internet to a certain degree and that certain comments, such as the one above should be blocked by websites.
No comments:
Post a Comment